Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pink Hatred not Anymore- Plus more

Ok, so I am not the typical girl and I knew this from I was a child. I had all the barbie dolls you could think of. I had display barbies and play time barbies that I would dismantle one minute and then the next sew the most beautiful ball room gowns for (yes, even as a child I sewed). Other times, I wouldn't even look at my dolls, I would play with my trucks and my cars; its almost like I had a mini garage. Growing up I had the perfect princess room, it was almost like a show window (that's what happens when your parent is an interior decorator). Think of loads of pink in every tone and shade, think of ruffles and lace, but, tastefully. My room was just amazingly beautiful. I never had simple flat bed linens, but lovely quilted top bed spreads with elegant dust ruffles and quilted shams and neck rolls to match. Everything had their own place, each doll, each teddy bear, each car was positioned in their very own spot. I think someone had told me pink is for girls and blue is for boys and in my head it didn't make sense that pink was forced up on us, so I rebelled. Plus, due to the high volumes of pink I was introduced to as a child, I ended up disliking pink. I didn't like pink food, pink, candy, pink clothes, pink anything! Couple years back, I looked at the situation of my pink hatred and noted that pink was a really nice color, depending on the shade of course.






If you have read my blog before I am sure I mentioned I grew up with my grandpa and he believed strongly in raising a young lady not just a child. I was taught all the things a girl should know except cooking, he feared I would get burnt by a pot on the stove so he left out that skill. However, I did learn to cook in college, through trial and error. Often times I would call home and ask GP (that's what I would call grampa) how to cook something and he would tell me in detail as he was a fabulous cook at home. Anywho, being that it was GP and I, he taught me the necessities of being a lady. He always said make sure you look your best when you step out, as you never know if you will be meeting your future husband. I took that as a very important lesson, so even if I was going to the corner store on foot, I would make sure I look assembled. My friends always laughed saying you are just going to the shop to buy some sugar (which was literally down the road from my apartment), why do you need to put on eyeliner and change the clothes you had on in the house? I felt that it was important to look my best, well when I was in college. Now I have sorta slacked off. I dress up depending on my mood, or where I am going, not saying I look shabby on the other days, I just don't put out so much effort as before. Recently, I have been out more often that regular and I have been turning some heads. So, I figured its best to put more effort into dressing up when going out than looking the same all the time. Not saying you can't look nice all the time, just don't look the same everyday. I should have mentioned that these few times I have been out, I had been wearing Elise:)

Let me introduce you to Elise.



 She is both the hair and the face, but when I go out I wear the hair, lol. I got Elise, in New York, last Thanks giving and I was so happy to get her. I bought the hair at a local beauty supply store, here in Montego Bay, Jamaica. I made the wig; I don't like spending my money if I know I can save it. If you wanna know how to make wigs you can watch Ms. Chanda on Youtube below. She is awesome!





So I make my own wigs and I wear them (my boyfriend hates wigs, but, loves long hair, well naturally long hair). I am not a constant wig wearer, cuz I like change and wigs make you hot especially if you live in Jamaica. My hair is natural now and sometimes I braid it or wear it natural while other times I wear a wig. With everything you have to find balance, plus you got to let your hair breathe, can't be covering it up all the time. If it was a few years ago, you wouldn't catch me in a wig, I thought only old people wear wigs. Now I have been enlightened and tables have turned. So with that I will say, don't mock it until you have tried it.



Until next time- lata,
Tish

No comments:

Post a Comment